Friday, March 7, 2008

What's going on??

Been spending a lot of time at home the last few weeks. I often turn on the TV just to keep me company as I go on doing about my things at home. And as I occasionally pause to watch a "news story", I realize why I never watch TV!! or better yet, never watch the news. Everything that airs on the news is completely depressing.

Over the last weeks all I've heard has been a rampage of killings - left and right. Some guy killed his mom, another his family, a school shooting, a high school star killed, a 6 year-old boy shot in the head, another man shot and killed, a racial war is rising - and so on and so on and so on. Dude...what the hell is happening?

Call me naive but I never realized how much tension or hatred is really out there. I guess media television served or serves its purpose. It is said that ignorance is bliss but being informed does not contribute to anything either - it seems to nourish bitterness and depression and at times anger more than anything. Perpetuating the lies of exaggerated segments that only fuel fear in us. And for the record, I am not saying to be ignorant. Be informed by all means! but also, learn to control how it may affect you. Whether you believe it or not, what you read, see, watch, listen to, etc...affects you. But I will save that for another post. I can feel anger slowly rising deep within me.

Back to this - As I type, one thing just seems to yell over all my thoughts. Love thy neighbor as thyself - for many it is the golden rule - a moral principle and meme which simply means treat others as you would like to be treated.

I strongly believe it is the solution to everything. The antidote. The formula. The serum to all this hate we are experiencing. This is not a moral sermon or a religious exhortation. But a reminder or a kidn admonishment that many of us can fight back by loving one another. This rule abounds in all religions and philosophies...so there must be something right about it.

I leave you with this video/song by the great WAR and some last words by someone who greatly inspired Plato:



"What you wish your neighbors to be to you, such be also to them." - Pythagoras

- THE LOVE MAN

No comments: