Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Life Over Death

Day of the Dead...often celebrated on November 1st and 2nd throughout Mexico and Latin America. A day that is normally focused on remembering our loved ones who have passed away. People build elaborate altars, pray, celebrate, visit graves, throw parties etc etc.

As for me, this year, Day of the Dead has more of a symbolic meaning. It is not a remembering of my dead loved ones, which I remember regardless, but it is a celebration that represents a death to many things in my life. It is the death of old habits, the death of any anger issues, any trust issues, of my complacencies, sour friendships, some relationships, living conditions, lifestyle etc - you get the point.

Over the course of this weekend, I received many news that has totally placed things in perspective and has taught me to view this season as a season for turning new leaves. It is also the beginning of a new month that is also near the end of this year and close to a beginning of a year that places me at a 40 year mark. All these things I gather, analyze and meditate on.

I received news about a new place to live. I was notified of getting a position I had applied for and had long awaited for. There was an end to an old tarnished friendship that unfortunately went bad for nearly 5 years. The reunion of some old friends and re-connection of "friends" from long ago. The making of new friends. Receiving an invitation to participate in a project that I would be more than honored to be a part of. The confirmation of hearing news to seal the death of an existing relationship. The constant reflection and assessing of my current life and re-realizing I need to once again journey out on the spiritual journey I once set out on years ago.

I am excited about this coming year. Day Of The Dead was definitely a day that many things died and have made room for many things to re-blossom or grow.

Hope your Day Of The Dead weekend was a good one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW...talk about dying to self...I am with you homie...Sometimes we just have to die in order to find life again...Life or Death in 2010!

VOLT

MakeOne, The Love Man said...

Thanks for commenting. So true. It is about Life Over Death and choosing life is definitely the route to go.

Good times